Frequently Asked Questions For Users of Active and Healthy
- What is Active and Healthy?
- How do I find an exercise program in my local area in NSW?
- How do I print my search results?
- How can I get a free copy of Staying Active and On Your Feet?
What is Active and Healthy?
Active and Healthy is a web-based resource directory of community physical activity fall prevention programs and general physical activity programs for adults aged 50 years and over.
Active and Healthy is designed to:
- Provide a high quality on-line directory of exercise programs in NSW to assist older adults to identify exercise programs in their area;
- Provide evidence based information for older adults on the benefits of physical activity and opportunities to increase their physical activity in their everyday life;
- Provide evidence based information for older adults on fall prevention strategies that can assist them to reduce their risk of falling; and
- Provide evidence based information for health and exercise professionals on physical activity and older adults and fall prevention strategies.
How do I find an exercise program in my local area in NSW?
There are three simple steps to finding an Exercise Program in your local area. All you need to do is:
- Go to Find an Exercise Program
- Enter a search distance in the Distance field underneath. The system will automatically default to 5km (recommended) but you can choose between 5km and 100km if you wish.
- Click the Search Programs button.
If no programs are available you may wish to consider widening your search by adjusting the Distance field to a greater distance. If you receive a large number of responses you may wish to refine your search by adjusting the Distance field to a smaller distance.
How do I print my search results?
Printing off the results of your Active and Healthy search can give you a snapshot of the physical activity programs in your local area. The printed version of your search results will include the name of the program, address and contact information.
How can I get a free copy of Staying Active and On Your Feet?
Staying Active and On Your Feet, a NSW Health publication, is a comprehensive resource for older people. It contains falls information, safety checklists and home exercises in addition to other pertinent falls prevention information. It is a useful and practical guide recommended for anyone over the age of 50. The English version of the booklet can be ordered for free by those residing in NSW, Australia. If you are located outside of this area you can still download the PDF of the booklet and have it printed yourself. The booklets are also available for download in Arabic, Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Greek, Italian, and Vietnamese.