We are all different. Some people find it easy to start a new routine, but many of us find it hard. Most people find it difficult to keep a new routine going.
Here are some simple ways that can make a big difference to starting- and sticking to- a new routine.
- Be REALISTIC- start slowly. Increase physical activity over time.
- Choose an activity you ENJOY.
- Decide if you like to exercise ALONE or in a GROUP.
- Think about whether you prefer a ROUTINE or FLEXIBILITY.
- Even SMALL INCREASES in physical activity make a big difference to your health- every bit counts.
- Consider what is important for you in the FUTURE- staying independent, enjoying travel, spending time with friends and family.
- Remember your STRENGTHS- how have you made positive changes in the past, such as getting fit, stopping smoking, and losing weight?
- What BARRIERS might get in the way of achieving your goals- weather, lack of time, illness, pain, transport, lack of motivation, forgetting? How can you work around these problems?