Here are some things you can do to stay independent and prevent falls:
Improve your balance and strength - you can do this by trying the home exercises on this website or attending a regular exercise class. Look for the icon to identify exercise classes that can help prevent falls.
- Pay attention to what you are doing and don’t rush.
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist to review your medication to check if any of them could make you dizzy or increase your risk of falling.
- Make your home environment as safe as possible
- Remove tripping hazards such as loose mats and rugs and clutter
- Improve the lighting in your home especially on stairs
- Install railings and grab bars if they are needed.
- Check your shoes – make sure your shoes fit well and are supportive. Check the soles to make sure they are not slippery.